Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

How We Really Spent St. Paddy's Day

We had an extremely low-key St. Patrick's Day this year. I changed my mind on the menu and we ended up having Colcannon, which is a simple dish that is very easy to make and get on the table quickly. I didn't give any to the twins though, because I was unsure of how the cabbage would sit in their stomachs. 



Recipe via Food52

I gathered all of my ingredients and got to work while the little guys at my house rolled around the ground and played pirates. 


The most difficult part was peeling the potatoes, which was made very quick with a veggie peeler. I didn't have peppercorns, so I substituted plain pepper. 


Feel free to add up to a whole head of cabbage. I will say that this made quite a few dirty dishes, but all were easily thrown in the dishwasher, nothing needed scrubbing. 


Don't fret if you don't have green onions. While it gave the recipe a pop, it's not make-or-break if you leave them out. This recipe seems to be very flexible. 


I served this with apples to round it out, but I truly could have eaten this alone and been a happy girl. Even our two year old gobbled it up!


Really, all you need is a pint of Guinness and you're set for your St. Patrick's Day meal. I think I might add this in to our regular meal rotation!






0 comments:

Post a Comment